If I added up all the time the average Madison parent has spent in his or her car waiting for the school bell to ring, I estimate that it would be about 3 days each year. (Note: No scientific study was performed to come to this conclusion.) Add on the days we get there super early to get a prime spot, and I predict it is over a week! (Ok, I might be exaggerating…)
Many of us take these quiet moments to scroll through our Facebook feed, but lately, I have been trying to cross things of my lengthy to-do list by using these precious minutes to do what I like to call “Car Chores.” Here is part of my ever-growing list of things you can do while waiting for the kids:
- Clean the glove compartment Mine is packed with I don’t even know what!
- Clean the steering wheel Grab those baby wipes or bring some Lysol wipes and rub down the wheel. Think about it — how much time have you spent holding the steering wheel vs. how many times have you cleaned it? (Ewww! Gross!)
- Sweep out the car I keep a small dustpan and brush to whisk away the dirt, sand, sunflower seed shells, etc.
- Pay bills I have a zip-loc bag of bills, checkbook, stamps and envelopes that goes with me whenever I need to wait a while.
- Write thank you notes or birthday cards Again, a gallon zip-loc bag of thank you cards and an address list helps me get those notes done faster!
- Delete phone photos My phone keeps telling me that the storage is almost full. I usually find that is because my kids like to take long videos of them singing karaoke. I get a smile watching them, then delete, delete, delete!
- Order photos The only time I ever print photos these days is when my kids need them to decorate their writing folders in September. I now mark the ones I want to print as a “favorite” and order them in small groups using the Walgreens, Walmart, or Shutterfly app.
- Clip coupons I keep a tiny pair of scissors in my purse or just rip them out.
- Toss old coupons I always seem to have more expired ones than usable ones.
- Sew on buttons or Brownie badges I never seem to find the time to make small repairs at home. And, I have to admit, all those Brownie badges are stapled on right now! I need to get them sewn on!
While it is always good to get things crossed off my to-do list, I have found that the best use of time while waiting for the kids is to actually get out of the car and get to know the other parents waiting! On a rainy or cold day, though, I get some chores done!